November 20, 2010 (KATAKAMI / HAARETZ) — Palestinian militant group claims responsibility for mortar fire in retaliation for Israel’s killing of two militants in Gaza on Wednesday.
The Israel Defense Forces Spokesperson confirmed Friday that IDF attacked three targets in the Gaza Strip, following a barrage of mortar bombs and rockets fired at the western Negev.
Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip fired a long-range Grad rocket and seven mortar shells at western Negev on Friday, following a night-long barrage of Qassam rockets fired from the coastal enclave.
Police investigation showed that one of the mortar bombs fired at Hof Ashkelon council contained phosphorus.
“The IDF holds the Hamas solely responsible for the situation in the Gaza Strip,” the IDF announcement said.
Palestinian witnesses and Hamas officials said that Israeli fighter jets raided two targets in the Gaza Strip, Reuters reported Friday.
Palestinian sources say five Palestinians were wounded in the attacks, one of which sent plumes of smoke shooting into the air in the southern Gaza town of Khan Younis, according to witnesses.
The Popular Resistance Committees, a Palestinian militant group, claimed responsibility for mortar fire, saying it was in retaliation for Israel’s killing of two militant leaders of an al-Qaeda linked group in Gaza on Wednesday.
Earlier on Friday Gaza militants fired a long-range Grad rocket into the western Negev.
The rocket exploded north of the Israeli town of Ofakim, with security forces struggling to pinpoint the exact location due to heavy morning fog.
The launch joined at least two earlier Qassam-rocket firings into western Negev, with no injuries or damages being reported; a third Qassam launch was reported a few hours following the firing of the Grad-type Katyusha.(*)