LIBYA, March 17, 2011 (KATAKAMI.COM) — Forces loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi have launched their first bombing raids on the main rebel-held city of Benghazi, BBC reported on Thursday.
BBC correspondents in the city heard the sound of low-flying aircraft and explosions on the city outskirts.
Mustafa Gheriani, spokesman for the opposition Transitional National Council, said the city’s airport had been attacked.
He told that the bombs had missed their targets.
Benghazi, Libya’s second city, has a population of a million.
A UN Security Council vote on action in Libya could be held later on Thursday.
Western countries want a no-fly zone to halt the advance of government forces.
Following the toppling of the long-time leaders of neighbouring Tunisia and Egypt earlier this year, Libyan protesters started to demand that Col Gaddafi step down after 42 years of autocratic rule.
They quickly seized much of eastern Libya, but in recent days pro-Gaddafi forces have retaken several towns. (*)