March 21, 2011 (KATAKAMI.COM / PRESS TV) — The Arab League has strongly criticized the West’s military air strikes on Libya, since they resulted in civilian casualties almost immediately after invasion, Iranian Television PRESS TV reported on Sunday.
Arab League Secretary General Amr Moussa says the military intervention in Libya differs from a UN resolution that authorizes imposing a no-fly zone over the country.
“What is happening in Libya differs from the aim of imposing a no-fly zone, and what we want is the protection of civilians and not the bombardment of more civilians,” he said on Sunday.
Moussa said last week’s UN resolution was meant to protect civilians against troops loyal to Muammar Gaddafi.
The attacks on Libya started after US, European and Arab leaders backed military action against Libya following an emergency meeting in Paris on Saturday.
Moussa has called for an emergency AL meeting to discuss the situation in the Arab world.
The remarks come as the US and European forces have unleashed massive airstrikes and cruise missile attacks on oil-rich Libyan cities.
France initiated the war hours before US and UK warships and submarines joined in.
Libyan state television announced that 48 people were killed and 150 were wounded in the strikes, including civilians.
It is the biggest Western military intervention in the Arab world since the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
Experts say the main motive behind the Western allies’ attack is the vast oil reserves in the North African country.
US military chief Admiral Mike Mullen has acknowledged that the US-led military invasion of Libya could lead to a deadlock in the North African country.
The top military commander said told CBS news on Sunday that the end-game of military action in Libya was “very uncertain.” (*)