RSS

Coalition Airstrikes in Libya Enter 6th Day

24 Mar

An air force Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS) plane is seen on the tarmac of the 702 French air force base to take part in an air surveillance mission above the Mediterranean sea on March 24, 2011. Coalition forces - led by the United States, France and Britain and including other European states along with Qatar - have launched air strikes in Libya since Saturday, acting under a UN resolution authorising "all necessary means" to protect civilians in Libya. French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said today that coalition airstrikes against Libya had been a "success" and would continue, while denying civilians had been targeted. (Photo by ALAIN JOCARD/AFP/Getty Images)

LIBYA, March 24, 2011 (KATAKAMI.COM) — Several explosions were reported east of the Libyan capital, Tripoli, Thursday, as a U.N.-approved military operation to enforce a no fly zone over the country entered its sixth day., VOA reported on Thursday.

Forces loyal to Libyan leader Moammar Ghadafi had resumed their assault on the western city of Misrata Wednesday after Western planes had temporarily halted the government attacks with a series of airstrikes.

Libya’s Deputy Foreign Minister Khalid Kaim said Thursday there were no military operations on the ground in Misrata, Libya’s third-largest city. Kaim said there were only pockets of violence and snipers scattered in different areas of the city.

Earlier, a doctor in Misrata said pro-Gadhafi forces were shelling indiscriminately Wednesday, including near the city’s only hospital, and that snipers were firing on civilians from rooftops.

Loyalist forces also continued their assaults Wednesday on the rebel-held cities of Zintan and Ajdabiya.

U.S. Rear Admiral Gerard Hueber said Wednesday the coalition was directing its firepower against Mr. Gadhafi’s ground forces that are “attacking civilian populations in cities,” including mechanized units, artillery and mobile missile sites.

Coalition airstrikes against Libyan military positions started last Saturday and have continued throughout this week.

A senior British military officer said Wednesday coalition forces have gained control of Libya’s airspace. Air Vice Marshal Greg Bagwell also said Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi’s air force “no longer exists as a fighting force.”

Thousands of people marched through the streets of the rebel stronghold Benghazi on Wednesday to show their support for the coalition’s no-fly zone over Libya.

NATO is moving to assume responsibility for the no-fly zone set up under United Nations’ authorization to protect civilians. French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe says NATO will take an “operational” role in applying flight restrictions over Libya.   (*)

 
Comments Off on Coalition Airstrikes in Libya Enter 6th Day

Posted by on March 24, 2011 in World News

 

Tags:

Comments are closed.

 
%d bloggers like this: