Tag Archives: NATO
RUSSIA,March 29, 2011 (KATAKAMI.COM) — The Russia-NATO Council will discuss on Tuesday in Brussels the current state of affairs in Libya and ways to resolve the ongoing conflict, RIA NOVOSTI reported.
Russia’s envoy to NATO Dmitry Rogozin said late last week that the Council will meet “to confirm the limits that the UN Security Council placed on the participants of the conflict.”
Rogozin also reiterated Russia’s position saying that “holding [military] ground operations will be qualified as occupying Libya and that directly contradicts the resolution adopted by the UN Security Council.”
NATO Spokesperson Oana Lungescu said on Monday that no foreign troops will be deployed and there will be no NATO presence on the ground in Libya
On Sunday, NATO began taking command of all aerial operations in Libya from the U.S.-led force. The transfer of authority will take up to three days.
The UN Security Council resolution adopted on March 17 imposed a no-fly zone over Libya and measures to protect civilians from Gaddafi’s forces.
Western-led military strikes against Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, whose forces have been attacking rebels in the east of the North African country since mid-February, began last Saturday. (*)
AFGHANISTAN, March 13, 2011 (KATAKAMI.COM) — Afghan President Hamid Karzai says international troops should leave Afghanistan and take their fight against terrorism across the border into Pakistan.
As reported by VOA News on Sunday, Mr. Karzai delivered his latest criticism of NATO efforts Saturday in Asadabad, capital of eastern Kunar province, where he was visiting relatives of civilians killed in a raid by international forces.
The Afghan leader said his government has shown NATO that the terrorists and militants are not in Afghanistan, but instead are hiding in neighboring Pakistan.
The French news agency quoted Mr. Karzai as saying that Afghans are a tolerant people, but by now , “Our tolerance has run out.”
The topic of civilian casualties has been a sensitive one for Afghanistan and its Western allies.
Earlier this month, NATO’s top commander in Afghanistan, General David Petraeus, apologized for an airstrike that killed nine children in Kunar province – the result of miscommunication, according to the coalition. Mr. Karzai has warned that NATO could face “huge problems” if the accidental killing of civilians does not stop.
A joint report this week by the U.N. mission in Afghanistan and the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission says there were nearly 3,000 war-related civilian deaths in 2010 – an increase of 15 percent over 2009’s toll. The study concluded that insurgents and militants were responsible for about 75 percent of those deaths.
Meanwhile, NATO said two of its troops died Saturday, one in eastern Afghanistan and another in southern Afghanistan. NATO has a policy of not releasing names and nationalities of members of the force. (*)
AFGHANISTAN, March 13, 2011 (KATAKAMI.COM) — Afghan President Hamid Karzai says US-led forces must stop operations in his country amid growing discontent between Kabul and Washington over civilian causalities, Iranian Television PRESS TV reported on Saturday.
Karzai made the remarks in the city of Asadabad where a recent NATO attack left over 70 civilians dead.
“I would like to ask NATO and the US with honor and humbleness and not with arrogance to stop their operations in our land,” Karzai said on Saturday.
“We are very tolerant people but now our tolerance has run out,” Karzai added.
The remarks also come days after nine children were killed in a NATO helicopter raid while they were collecting firewood in the eastern province of Kunar.
NATO says the children were mistaken for militants.
President Karzai condemned the killings and US President Barack Obama apologized for the incident.
Afghanistan has also rejected the United States’ apology for the death of nine children in a NATO airstrike. Karzai said expressing regret is not sufficient for the killing of the young boys.
His comments also come as US-led forces have recently shot and killed a relative of President Karzai in an attack on his house in Kandahar Province’s Dand district in southern Afghanistan.
US Special Forces arrived in helicopter in Karz village and stormed the house of Haji Yar Mohammad Khan on Wednesday night, Press TV has learned.
Moreover, foreign forces have killed two civilians in the eastern province of Nangarhar.
The victims worked for a private company which provides services to Afghan and foreign forces. Eyewitnesses say they were killed in their homes in the city of Jalalabad.
Civilian casualties from US-led operations are a major source of tension between the Afghan government and foreign troops. More than 2,400 civilians are estimated to have been killed in 2010 by both foreign forces and militants.
Insecurity is on the rise across the country despite the presence of over 150,000 US-led forces there. (*)
March 3, 2011 (KATAKAMI.COM / RIA Novosti) — NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said that the alliance does not plan any military actions against riots-hit Libya, Russia’s envoy to NATO, Dmitry Rogozin, said on Wednesday.
Commenting on Wednesday’s ambassadorial Russia-NATO Council meeting, held in Brussels, Rogozin said Rasmussen was not considering any military campaigns in Libya, however NATO was ready for the most dramatic scenario in the Northern African state, RIA Novosti reported on Wednesday.
Some 2,000 people are believed to have been killed in clashes between protesters and pro-Gaddafi forces since a popular uprising began in the North African country on February 15. Inspired by recent revolutions in Tunisia and Egypt, Libyans are demanding an end to Gaddafi’s 42-year authoritarian rule.
NATO has held two meetings on the situation in Libya, but “has yet to make any particular decisions,” Rogozin said.
The number of refugees fleeing the country has reached 180,000, including 77,000 who had left for Egypt and over 30,000 waiting at the Libyan-Tunisian boarder, UN refugee agency spokeswoman Melissa Fleming said on Wednesday. (*)
March 2, 2011 (KATAKAMI.COM / RIA NOVOSTI) — Russia and NATO could discuss the situation in Libya during a meeting of the Russia-NATO Council in Brussels on Wednesday, Russia’s envoy to NATO Dmitry Rogozin said, as reported by RIA Novosti.
“I am not ruling out the possibility that the situation in Libya may be discussed during the meeting, although the issue is not on the official agenda,” Rogozin told RIA Novosti after a working meeting with NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen on Tuesday.
Rogozin said that despite serious disagreements among members on alliance’s involvement in possible military actions against Muammar Gaddafi’s regime, NATO would most certainly act only on approval by the UN Security Council.
The international community has already condemned the violence by Libyan authorities that reportedly killed up to 2,000 people in clashes between protesters and supporters of leader Muammar Gaddafi since a popular uprising began on February 15. Inspired by recent revolutions in Tunisia and Egypt, Libyans are demanding an end to Gaddafi’s 42-year authoritarian rule.
On Tuesday, the United Nations suspended Libya’s membership in the UN Human Rights Council in an effort to persuade the country’s regime to stop violence against protesters. (*)